Thursday 15 April 2010

Lima, Peru



I flew to Lima in Peru, from Buenos Aires, which is about a 4.5 hour flight. I was collected by my i-to-i homestay host and driven to my new home for 2 days in the Miraflores district of the city. Lima is a very large city and there are 47 districts altogther. Also staying at my homestay is Lilja, from Germany who is doing an archaeology project in Lima and Declan,from Ireland, who is also doing teaching English in Cusco, although in a different school to me.

We had an orientation meeting Saturday morning where I met the other new volunteers, four were staying in Lima, and four of us were going on to Cusco. We got treated to a very nice lunch at the local tennis club where we tried a variety of traditional Peruvian dishes, which were all really nice, even the raw fish one which I was dubious about, not being a big fan of raw fish. Also had to try Pisco Sour, the traditional Peruvian drink, it tasted a bit like a Margarita, too bitter for my tastes. We then had an open top bus tour of Miraflores, which is a really nice part of the city, very affluent and by the beach. Afterwards Lilja and I wandered along the beach front, watched the surfers catching some big waves and then watched the sunset.

My first impressions of Peru are very good, the people are very friendly, and the food great so far, so looking forward to spending my 8 weeks in Cusco.

No comments:

Post a Comment