Tuesday 3 August 2010

Sydney, Australia


Arriving in Sydney after leaving Bangkok was a shock, the cold weather for one but also that the culture is so similar to England. Suddenly everything is expensive and I am walking around shocked at the price of things, thinking I'm not paying that!
I ventured on my own walking tour of Sydney armed with a map. It's a great place, lots to see and do, and easy to find your way around on foot. The Opera House is stunning, so spectacular. The Harbour bridge is pretty impressive too. The Rocks area is the oldest part of Sydney with steep cobbled streets, nice to wander about. Darling Harbour had a boat show on and I wandered around deciding which yacht to buy.
The National Maritime Museum was interesting and afterwards I strolled round the Royal Botanic Gardens which are beautiful.
I took a bus tour out of Sydney to the Blue Mountains, so called because of the blue hue of the trees. It was so cold, but the viewpoints were spectacular, reminding me of the Grand Canyon a little. I walked down into the valley which had waterfalls and forest, very beautiful. I took the Scenic railway back to the top, which is the steepest incline railway in the world. It was a great ride, sooo steep!
I took the train from Kings Cross to Bondi Beach. I walked along the coast from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach passing through a lot of beautiful beaches on the way. The sun came out, the beaches were lovely, so clean, it was a great walk, and I even spotted a school of dolphins swimming near the surfers. Sydney is great but a few days in the big city is enough for me, looking forward to travelling up the coast to warmer climes.

No comments:

Post a Comment