Tuesday 9 March 2010

Escuela Publica no 219- 1st day

Had my first day at an Argentinian school today, it was a very different experience from English schools.
Firstly the teachers sit around in the staff room drinking mate- the local drink, which is shared around- gross.... there is no sense of urgency at all, and there is not a computer in sight. The teachers and most pupils wear white coats, as it is a public school. I met the headteacher- Graciela, and the English teacher is Lorena, she has been studying English for about 8 years, and teaching English for two years.

I joined her English class, they are 10 years old, and there are 17 pupils in total. They were quite well behaved, but as it was their first ever English class, I was glad I wasn´t taking it on my own, as it would have been a struggle with my limited knowledge of Spanish. I had to correct Lorena on her spelling of pupil and bye so that has me a bit concerned about the accuracy of the English language the students are learning, but does make me realise I can´t do any worse...
The classroom is hot and stuffy, and it´s pretty basic, with only a blackboard as a teaching tool.

At the moment I only have to go 2 days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Tuesday AM and Wed PM so I will have plenty of time for exploring. I think I´m going to enjoy it.

At the end of school- 11.30am- we all went and lined up in the assembly outdoor area and said some sort of thanks or prayer, then school was over for the day....can´t be bad.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice easy day at the office Karla!!
    take care
    P
    X

    ReplyDelete